July 22, 2017 โ The federal governmentโs decision to cap flounder fishing limits at levels favored by the state, county and local fishermen is a win for the entire Jersey Shore, Freeholder Director Joseph H. Vicari said.
โWe are very pleased with this decision that maintains the limits that the state already imposes on daily flounder catches,โ Vicari said.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) earlier this month affirmed New Jerseyโs summer-flounder fishing size, bag limits and the length of the fishing season, meaning all rules adopted by the state earlier this year will remain in effect through early September.
The decision also won final approval from U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross.
In approving the state plan, Ross rejected a proposal to reduce the annual flounder haul by 34 percent and instead found that New Jerseyโs existing rules are in compliance with the safe and sustainable management of summer flounder.
The Freeholders in April passed a resolution favoring the existing limits and rejecting the proposed 34 percent decrease, saying the change would have harmed the local tourism economy and done nothing to protect the flounder population.